Our doors first opened in 1908, the 60th anniversary of the founding of Dunedin city and the Otago province.
We trace the lives of our settlers – indigenous Māori, the early Chinese, and the following waves of migrant groups – and their technological innovation, art, fashion, domestic life and transport.
We are housed in the original Edwardian galleries, Dunedin's former New Zealand Rail Road Transport Building and the modern entrance foyer.