Our room of portraits known as the Smith Gallery is where the Museum began in 1908 when it was the only display gallery we had.
We've come a long way over the succeeding 100+ years, expanding outwards but retaining this Gallery as the heart of the Museum.
Originally conceived as a shrine to the Otago pioneers, the Gallery has the same focus today with its famous array of pioneer settlers' portraits staring down from all four walls. Only pre-1864 settlers are hung here, although we have thousands more portraits in our care which can be accessed by visiting our Research Centre.